Monday, June 9, 2008

A trip to Congress?

In my panicked haste last week, I shot off e-mails to Senators Lincoln and Pryor, as well as to the director of the National Council on Adoptable Children (NACAC). For those who don't know anything about foster care and foster care adoption, it is not an easy process and a lot of support for these children gets cut off after they are adopted. Senator Rockefeller has introduced the Adoption Equality Act to the U.S. Senate to ensure that every child in foster care receives the same benefits and support after they are adopted regardless of their situation. There is also a companion bill that has been recently introduced in Congress. I didn't expect anything to come from my e-mails, but I've been willing to try anything lately. Saturday, I heard back from the executive director of NACAC and he asked me to call him. I called him last night and he was on his way to Washington, D.C. to meet with the Arkansas delegation about the Adoption Equality Act. He said my story is exactly what he was looking for and asked me to send him a summary of mine and Kayla's experiences and he would present it to Senators Lincoln and Pryor and the Arkansas congressmen. When I heard back from him today, he said he wished we were there with him because it is the exact story he is trying to get told to Congress. He said he will be in contact with me after his meeting to let me know how it went. He is hopeful of getting this Act passed soon so please write your senators and congressman and ask them to support this Act. If it gets passed before Kayla and I finalize our adoption, it will greatly benefit us...if not, it will definitely benefit other adoptable children out there and their adoptive families. Who knew what a quick e-mail could do?

No comments: