Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The new normal

For those who know me well, know that I need my routine and I am an absolute mess without it. I need structure, discipline, order, rest, and time for myself. When I don't have that, it's a constant meltdown. Well, I was thrown so far out of my normal routine the past two weeks that I didn't know if I would ever feel calm again. But I must say that on this third day of the third week, we have established some sort of weekday routine that seems to be working for now...and I can finally feel a sense of peace and calm again. The alarm goes off at 6:30 a.m. and I spring out of bed-no more hitting snooze until 7:15 like I have done for the past four years. We are dressed and leave the house by 7:30 a.m. I battle the early morning Cantrell Road traffic and drop Kayla off at the Westside YMCA for her day camp and then head down the street to work. I am at the office no later than 8:00! (I never would have thought this was possible for chronically late for work me-who knew that having a kid would actually make you get to work on time, and not just on time but thirty minutes early!) I leave work by 5:15 and battle traffic again to pick up Kayla from day camp and head home. We are usually home by 6:00. The last couple of nights I have even been able to take a walk, thanks to these low humidity days. Then I cook dinner (which is a whole other post), but I am actually cooking dinner for all you doubters (even if it is Hamburger Helper every night). Then we watch TV or Kayla plays on the WebKinz and Disney Channel website, and I actually get to relax! And I get to read books and magazines! And talk on the phone! Oh and how much these little things really mean to me today. And I don't feel like I just want crawl into bed and pull the covers over my head because I can't deal with any more changes or crises. I feel like my life took a huge detour for a little while but is now coming back around to something that somewhat resembles normal. The new normal anyway.

No comments: