Tuesday, August 12, 2008

"Mom"

Kayla gave me my birthday present and the best part about it was the card where she wrote "Mom" on the front of it. Mom as in me, I'm a mom, someone's calling me mom. It can't get much better than that. She did good on the present, too. She secretly conned a friend of mine to take her out shopping for me and came back with a Barnes & Noble gift card, a Starbucks gift card, and a DVD and book of "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants." It didn't take her long to figure out I love books.
I wanted sushi for my birthday because I hadn't had it since Kayla got here because she's never tried it or been interested in it. We went to my favorite place with a bunch of my friends and lo and behold Kayla tried some sushi and really liked it. I had a great night being with the people I love, eating the food that I love, and then coming home and watching Michael Phelps smash another world record. It doesn't get much better than that.

2 comments:

Maggie said...

Isn't it great when you see it in print for the first time? I still get overwhelmed by it sometimes. (Hearing the word "mom," however, has lost it's shine. I hear it about 10 million times a day.)

Don said...

WOW! It took my son a year to stop calling me "Mr. Don," and start calling me "Dad." The first time he said it was while we were on that very long drive from Virginia to Orlando to celebrate our first year as a family, when it seemed as if he began every sentence with "Dad."

"Dad, are we going to go to Sea World, Dad?"

I remember being blown away by the fact that it appeared that he had finally made the "transition" from foster child to "forever" child, even though adoption--at that point--still wasn't final. But I didn't want to make an issue of it with him. I just moved along like he'd always called me "Dad."

It sounds like things are moving along quite well for the two of you. Good job, Mom!