Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Registration and other nightmares

Registering for school is an arduous process. Going to the library to find your name on the list but no forms, waiting in the office and filling out more forms, talking to the school counselor and getting enrolled in the right classes, back to the library to fill out more forms, and then pay a bunch of money and have no idea what we've bought except for gym clothes and a PTA membership.

Kayla's really excited about school, though. Her counselor is someone I've known for years and after talking to her old middle school put her in all pre-AP classes. She also chose a creative writing elective as her first choice (yea! she wants to be a writer!). The school nurse, who I've also known for years, offered to give her rides home when she needs it. And the principal, who has done so much for us, gave us a personal tour of the school. She asked him if they had talent shows, if she could get a top locker, and if she can be tardy the first day of school. So I think she's in good hands. We go back next week for orientation and to pick up her schedule. But I ask you this...how does a class schedule that goes from 8:35 to 3:45 supposed to help a working parent. I have no idea how I am going to manage all this....I have to work some time!

And dance registration was a whole other nightmare. Who knew finding an appropriate dance class could be so difficult?

And to add to our day, my caseworker calls at 10:30 a.m. to say "Oh by the way, can you be at court at 2:00 today?"

I'm glad this day is in the past....and we get to go on our mini-vacation in two days!

No comments: