Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Hectic...and stressed

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Life has been very hectic and stressful lately, what with adjusting to a new daughter, a sick grandfather, major car trouble, etc., etc., etc. I have forgotten what peace feels like and can't wait to have it back. Adjusting to a new person in the household has been a lot harder than I expected. I went to classes, read books, researched the Internet and read message boards and thought I was ready but the reality of parenting is very different from reading about it. It's a 24/7 job where you have to be "on" all the time--no more running to the bed and shutting off the phone when you have a bad day and don't feel like talking to anyone. No more long Sunday naps and reading for hours at a time. It just takes time to get to know another person and what they are about and what they like and the process doesn't happen overnight. It hasn't with any other relationship I've been in so why should this be any different? It gets easier each day, though, and some days are even fun. Like last night, when Kayla and I watched "The Bachelorette" finale and they posted a number to call to nominate someone for the next Bachelorette and she called the number and went to the website and filled out an application on my behalf (but won't tell me what she said!). So I'll be looking for ABC to come calling soon. I also enrolled her in summer dance classes. She is taking a hip-hop class and it was so much fun watching her dance with the other girls. She really enjoyed it. Those are the good times and they make up for the days when you wonder how you are going to get through it. I'm hoping there are many more of these good days to come.

1 comment:

Violet said...

Congratulations on your adoption! :) I've found that things go in phases - one minute it's like we've always been a family and then another minute I wonder what the hell I was thinking when we adopted. And then the next day it's great and the next day is stressful. We're 7 months into our adoption, though, and I've been told the "waves" keep going for at least the first year..

I'm so glad I found your blog! I can't wait to read along and see how it goes..